Sunday, April 6, 2008

Crawfish

Thomas' family has a tradition of having a crawfish boil for Easter. I immediately loved this tradition, and we decided to keep the tradition in our family together. Since we have not been able to go to New Orleans the past couple of years for Easter, we introduced the tradition to my side. They have enjoyed this new tradition as well. My brother, Jeffrey, even said that Easter has become one of his favorite holidays because of the boil.

This year, we had Easter at my parents house. With the new church sanctuary, we decided that we should have Easter at Christ UMC College Station.

After we got home from the Breakfast with the Easter Bunny, we got to work on the boil.

Thomas introduced Jackson to a crawfish. Jackson didn't like the crawfish too much. Uncle Jeffrey swooped in to the rescue. He told Jackson that crawfish say, "wah wah way" while moving his hands claw style.


Everyone gathered for the dumping of the crawfish.


Poor crawfish. . .


Thomas stirs the crawfish as Jackson looks on.


The crawfish are poured on the table. Uncle Jeffrey puts out the crackers and butter. We are set to eat!!

My dad has a perfect picture of Jackson that I need to get from him. Here's what happened:
I sat Jackson down between Thomas and myself. I put some corn and potatoes in front of him while Thomas and I dug in. After a few minutes of Jackson watching us, he suddenly grabbed a crawfish, tore it apart in one quick pull and STARTED SUCKING THE HEADS!!!! His Daddy was so proud! He ate that crawfish just like a true Cajun! Jackson ended up loving crawfish and didn't hesitate at pulling them apart for me to get the meat out for him. He did later tell us that they were, "hot and burned my mouth."


Uncle Jeffrey and Jackson after the big lunch.

No comments: