Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Trip to the Hospital

On Thursday, Jackson went to daycare. At 5:15, Lauren and I went to pick him up and head to the mall to meet Thomas to look for Easter clothes. We were running late, so I got Jackson out to the car quickly. As we walked out of school, I noticed that he was breathing really hard. I assumed that the kids had just been outside playing. As I strapped him into his car seat. I became really concerned because he was having a hard time talking. I told him that we were going to go home and do a breathing treatment. By the time I got into the car, I decided that we needed to go to the after hours doctor's office instead. We started driving over there, and I called Thomas to tell him. About half way there (in a 5 minute drive), Jackson told me he was sleepy and was going to go "night-night". That's when I became frantic. I didn't know what was going on, but I knew that he did not need to go to sleep when he couldn't breathe. We finally arrived at the doctor's office with my emergency flashers on. As we walked in, Jackson vomited right on the floor. The nurses rushed us back, took his vitals, and began a breathing treatment. Thomas arrived and we both agreed that we were very worried about our little boy. After the breathing treatment, Jackson was still struggling to breath, but had made improvement. The doctor told us that she was concerned about him during the night and wanted us to go to the hospital for an overnight visit. Off we went to the hospital. Jackson was put on an hour long breathing treatment, had an IV put in, given steroids, antibiotics, etc. Uncle Jonathan came to the hospital to be with us, and my parents drove up from College Station as well.

(Uncle Jonathan was able to help distract Jackson and asked him about his visit to College Station. Jackson told Uncle Jonathan about visiting Papa J's work. Jackson said that he saw lambs and goats. Jonathan asked, "what did the lambs and goats say?" Jackson replied, "I don't know. They didn't have mouths or heads." He had seen the meat hanging in the freezers at A&M. Leave it to a Savell to find some way to talk about meat during a hospital stay!)

Jackson did spend the night in the hospital and was dismissed the next day. The official diagnoses was RSV. Every doctor and nurse that came in warned us about Lauren getting it. I never asked the full repercussions of a 6 week old getting it, but by the number of warnings we received, I got the point.

Jackson was SO very brave in the hospital. The only time he really cried was when they took the IV out and put a band aide on him! He hates band aides (strange, I know)!

Jackson is fine now, and we are still waiting for all of the steroids to work their way out of his system. The steroids made Jackson talk REALLY, REALLY fast. It was like he was on an overdose of caffeine! Poor thing. He also has a hard time falling asleep and lays awake in his bed for over two hours each night.

Thank goodness that Jonathan came to help out in the emergency room! And thank goodness that my parents came up when they did without us even having to ask for their help. They were able to take care of Lauren (bless you Mama J for getting up with her in the night while I stayed at the hospital) while we took care of Jackson. We are so grateful to Mama J and Papa J for their endless devotion to their children and grandchildren. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

No comments: