After the RMC, we left North Dakota and headed to the Badlands in South Dakota. I didn't know much about the Badlands and really didn't have much expectations for it. Boy, I was surprised! It was so unique and beautiful! The kids loved looking at it, and we even did a VERY small hiking trail. Next time, we would stay an additional night and go hiking a little bit more. Also having Lauren a little bigger would help too for hiking.
Here is the cabin that we stayed in.
Here is the view from the cabin!
Another view to the front of the cabin.
We went to the visitor center, and they had a program for kids. The park ranger taught the kids about digging for fossils, and they got to dig for fossils themselves.
After the lesson, the kids got their very own Junior Ranger badge and patch!
The kids took an oath to protect the national parks. The Junior Ranger program is very serious!
As the kids were earning their Junior Ranger badge, I noticed some of the kids wearing Junior Ranger uniforms. When I saw the vest, I knew that it screamed Jackson! He bought the hat. He was so excited!!
Then it was time to go see more of the Badlands!
Papa J and I took the kids on a very short hike. The trail was very steep. We were worried about getting down the trail with a three year old girl, and we were right. We had to hold on to Lauren as we climbed down the narrow trail.
Jackson loved climbing the rocks and going on the hike!
Papa J, Jackson, Lauren, and I on our hike.
Still on our hike.
Jackson loved getting way ahead of us!
On our hike!
This was on our hike too! As you can tell, it was a little steep, so this is when we decided we better turn around.
Coming back down our climb.
Posing for pictures!
Such a little model!
More touring of the Badlands.
The Badlands were created by erosion. To think that all of the ground was level with the top of the peaks is amazing! Our earth is an amazing object!
Lauren is petrified of snakes, so we didn't point this out to her, but Jackson sure noticed it!
At the Badlands, you see all sorts of landscapes. There are also vast stretches of flat land. We encountered a prairie dog town in one of these stretches.
Look at this owl!
More posing!
The Badlands are a fascinating area and look forward to going again one day when Thomas can join us!

















No comments:
Post a Comment