Saturday, July 11, 2009

A Day at the Museums

On Tuesday, we spent the day at museums. After hitting the market, we got to see THE David. It truly was incredible. You hear about it all of the time, and you see pictures of it. I am not an art expert in any means, so I thought, "Yeah, we will see The David. It's a statue." But, when you see it in person, it is truly incredible!! It is so impressive that you keep looking at his stomach thinking something is wrong. The stomach is not moving with each breath! You truly expect The David to breathe! Jackson was impresses with The David as well. We had talked about seeing David a lot because David and Goliath is one of his favorite Bible stories. He just looked and looked at David's sling and the stone. The funny thing was that he never asked about David not having clothes on. The innocence of a child!

After seeing The David, Jackson and Mama J spent the afternoon at Galileo's museum where they looked at machines. Thomas, Lauren and I went over to the Uffizi to look at paintings.
Lauren was asleep for the first part of her Mommy/Daddy outing.

This is the piazza that leads to the Uffizi. There are statues all around the piazza and under the arches. Most of the statues are replicas of famous statues.

This is part of the Uffizi.


Lauren was awake to see all of the paintings. One couple that stood in line behind us remarked that Lauren was going to get a lot out of the museum. We agreed! Thomas told them that she was learning a lot during the entire trip to Italy, and it will be a trip that she will always remember! We also joked that one day she will ask us to go to Italy, and we will tell her she has already been and show her the pictures!! (I don't think this will work, do you?)


We went around and around looking at famous paintings. I felt a little bad because I know that I was probably seeing some that were known in the art world, and I wasn't appreciating them the way I should. At one point, Lauren got a little hungry. We wound our way around to find some privacy. (Yes, I am still nursing. I can't believe that we stuck with it all through Italy! It was very hard, and it took me out of my comfort zone. But, I couldn't imagine stopping when Lauren was only 4 months old just because I was going to be a little uncomfortable. I am proud that we pushed through it, and I have wonderful support from Thomas and my family.) We finally found a patio with an incredible view! Sadly, I think we appreciated the view a little more than the art!


Mommy and daughter. (I laugh when I look at the outfit Lauren was wearing because I threw it in the diaper bag right before we left as an extra outfit that she probably wouldn't wear. Little did I know that we still wouldn't have our luggage!)
The classic holding the camera to take a picture! Now back to the apartment to meet up with everyone. . .

No comments: