Saturday, July 18, 2009

Italy Continued - Wednesday

Wednesday morning we got up and hopped on a bus to take us to the point that you can overlook Florence. When we got there, the area was closed off!! Wednesday was a holiday in Florence. We never did really understand what the holiday was about, but it had something to do with a saint. This holiday impacted a lot of the sites we were going to see and a lot of shops were closed. We made the best of the day anyway and ended up doing a lot of walking around and just getting a feel for Florence.


A replica of David was in the center of the parking area. We couldn't get up to the edge because they were setting up fireworks that were going to be displayed at 8:00 PM.


A picture of Florence (the best we could get from the roped off area).


The gang minus Mama J who took the picture.

We decided to walk up the road a little to look around since we weren't getting to go to the area that we wanted to see.

As we were walking, we happened to pass by an artist. I had to take a picture because it was so "picturesque" to see an artist painting a picture of the beautiful scenery!


Lauren enjoyed the day. She was such a joy the entire trip.


We finally made it up far enough on the hill that we ended up getting a pretty good view of the city. What a beautiful city!


The Larrivieres


Mama J with her granddaughter. (I think they look alike, don't you?!)

Grandparents and grandchildren


Looking down the hill at the olive trees.
After looking at the city, we hopped back on the bus and headed back into town. We enjoyed the time just walking around Florence. I took a lot of pictures!

I loved all of the archways that you saw everywhere.


The architecture was beautiful. Little carvings here, moldings there. . .


This artwork was on the side of a building.


We rounded the corner and saw this. Everywhere you go, there is something to see.


Thomas in the streets of Florence.


Papa J in front of beautiful doors. It was amazing to look at all of the doors. Most of the buildings had incredible doors.


The gang in Florence.


We ended back at the Ponte Vecio so that we could see the shops during the day and to take more pictures. This was taken of the bridge just past the Ponte Vecio from the Ponte Vecio.

The buildings lining the river.

Thomas and myself on the Ponte Vecio.

Papa J and Mama J on the Ponte Vecio.

So many of the streets were so narrow. Thomas and I laughed at my parents because they liked taking the most narrow streets they could find to get somewhere. We teased them that in America, you DO NOT go down the narrow streets!! In this picture, Mama J was leading the way, and yes, we did go down the narrow street straight ahead.


More of the streets of Florence.

I loved the lights down this street. (I know that you are thinking that this is not a street, but yes, cars go down it. I was amazed at the cars going down the narrow streets. I don't know how they fit! I could not drive in Italy. I would be playing bumper cars down the streets!!)

No comments: