Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The White House

Tuesday evening (July 3rd), we had an appointment to tour the West Wing of the White House. One of Dad's former Refugee (this was the college program, Refuge, that Dad started at Christ UMC), Kyle, is one of the scheduler for President Bush. Kyle can give tours of the West Wing at night for six people after background checks. I was REALLY, REALLY excited about getting to see the Oval Office and all of the other rooms that you see on TV or in pictures. We met Kyle on the street corner of the White House and he took us in the property after security checks. The West Wing was smaller than I pictured and more "plain" than I imagined. (After seeing grandeur in places such as England and Russia, I had high expectations.) The hall ceilings in the West Wing are VERY low. There is a lot of woodwork, but it is not elaborate. Most of the walls are in a shade of yellow. The carpet is a shade of yellow and it has a design on it. After seeing several rooms such as the cabinet room and the Roosevelt room (the room where the president announces nominations), all of a sudden we were looking in THE Oval Office! How cool! It was a brightly lit room. It was also smaller than I pictured although I was standing at the door peeking my head in.

Jackson and I outside of the West Wing.


Papa J, Jackson, myself, and Mama J stand on the edge of the Rose Garden.


Standing on the Rose Garden looking at the Oval Office which is the last room on the left.


Posing outside of a door with the presidential sign above the door.


Jackson took a seat outside of the West Wing. It was 10 PM, so he was a little tired!

No comments: